The 1st Choice for recruitment
in Bedford, Milton Keynes, Huntingdon, Biggleswade and Northampton for over 25 years!
CLICK HERE to call your local office
Are you an experienced people manager with a technical mind, from a production environment and seeking a new challenge? We may just have the position for you!
We are seeking Shift Managers for our Production operation to help us build on our success and to deliver to our customers increasing demands.
Operating on 3 rotating shifts: 6am-2pm, 2pm-10pm and 10pm-6am Monday to Friday.
Openness and honesty are key characteristics to working with this company as this creates a friendly, flexible environment where colleagues are keen to share information and work together to achieve the best results.
The role of Shift Manager is to manage and lead a team of (c.15 to 20) production operatives. You will be accountable for the health and safety of the team ensuring that tasks are performed in accordance with SOPs (standard operating procedures), Risk and COSHH assessments. You will also be accountable for the manufacture of product in accordance with the production plan and the documented quality standards.
It is important that you can learn the technical production process so you will have evidence of previous technical learning in your work history, for example from a technical manufacturing environment.
The main responsibilities and duties for this role include, but are not limited to:-
Management of the Team
* Manage staff time and attendance and absences.
* Manage holiday requests ensuring sufficient trained staff are in place to deliver the production plan.
* Conduct investigation and disciplinary interviews.
* Ensure processes are followed to ensure quality standards and packing specifications are adhered to.
* Coordinate periodic internal stock counts of key components and consumables.
* Accountable for the housekeeping and presentation of the factory. Manage staff to complete cleaning and stock management duties to ensure a high standard of housekeeping and safety is maintained.
* Manage and conduct staff training and assessments using the Skills Matrix.
* Ensure staff are assessed for the tasks they perform using the Skills Matrix and the associated SOPs and Risk Assessments.
* Use the Skills Matrix to identify training needs for staff to both manage staff progression and ensure the correct balance of skill availability across the production team.
* Update the health and safety compliance system with Polymer Production staff training details.
* Conduct interviews for temporary staff and make decisions regarding employment.
Health and Safety
* Have a clear understanding of health and safety requirements for a manufacturing environment.
* Understand risk and COSHH assessments and adheres to their requirements.
* Implements health & safety procedures and communicates requirements to others.
* Ensure all staff have been trained in the Risk Assessment for all processes that they operate.
* Carry out post accident/incident investigations, gathering information and record findings on the safety compliance system.
* Chair the morning production meeting.
* Deliver and receive shift handover meeting with colleague to ensure all necessary information is communicated and understood.
* Work with the production planner to ensure delivery of the required production plan through coordination of mould changes and deployment of staff.
The successful person will:-
* Have good, proficient people management skills.
* Ideally be trained to, or working towards, ILM3 certificate.
* Possess good PC skills - use of MS Excel, MS Word, MRP system, MES system.
* Have good numeracy skills.
* Be self-motivated and able to work unsupervised.
* Demonstrate good communication skills.
* Be assertive and confident.
* Be driven to achieve results and suitably demanding on others.
* Have an attention to detail / critical appraisal skills of quality standards.
* Have a positive, 'can-do' attitude.
* Be flexible, can swap/change shifts to provide cover, including nightshift.
* Show willing and able to work paid overtime when required.
We offer a competitive salary with 25 days holiday per year plus Bank Holidays. We offer a Company Pension Scheme and Private Healthcare is offered after a qualifying period.
Working hours are 37.5hours per week, Monday to Friday, on rotating shifts 6am-2pm and 2pm-10pm. The nightshift operates from 10pm-6am on a set period basis. A nightshift premium is paid for hours worked. Some flexibility will be required.
Please note that at times due to the volume of applications we may not be able to respond to each person individually. If you do not hear from us within 7 days we're sorry you have not been successful this time. Please do not let this stop you applying for other positions you may be suitable for. Good Luck!
1st Choice Staff Recruitment is an equal opportunities employer and acts as both an Employment Agency & Business.
Registered Office: 8 St Loyes Street Bedford MK40 1EP
Co Registration No: 07972006
VAT Registration No: 476186512
Bedford (Head Office) - Tel: 01234 210025 Milton Keynes - Tel: 01908 695599 Biggleswade - Tel: 01767 316767 Huntingdon - Tel: 01480 459141 Northampton - Tel: 01604 212169